By improving your dental care and oral hygiene at home you can reverse receding gums and regain your overall dental health. Receding gums are most often caused by bacterial growth in the mouth around the gums and under the gum line. To get rid of the problem of receding gums, you need to flush away the bacteria that are causing the condition.
There are two basic steps that need to work in tandem to overcome gum disease – your home dental routine and your dental clinic visits. You should visit your dentist every six months in order for them to give you a check up and monitor the state of your condition as well as to clean out the bacteria collecting under the gum line and to remove the plaque and tartar that cannot be removed with regular brushing. If the dentist deems that it is necessary, you may have to visit them more frequently than this until the gum disease is beginning to improve.
Improving Oral Hygiene
One of the most important things you can do to get over gum disease is to get serious about your oral hygiene at home. Some of the following tips will help to reverse receding gums.
- Get to your dentist pronto for a thorough cleaning. The initial cleaning might take a while if it has been some time since you visited the dentist last.
- Establish a plan with your dentist and find out how often they want to see you to continue cleaning and eradicating the plaque and tartar build up. The worse the condition the more frequently you are likely to have to visit initially.
- Brush, floss and use a mouth rinse at least twice a day, but after each meal if you can. Follow the four step OraMD program for the best and fastest results.
- Cut out tobacco, drink plenty of water and reduce your sugar intake.
- Visit the dentist if you notice the condition worsening.
If you have receding gums, then working together with your dentist and implementing a thorough home dental routine are essential. If you do these two things consistently, then you will be able to overcome the condition and restore your gum health and reverse the receding gums.