If you have recently been diagnosed with periodontal disease, then you need to get serious about your oral health and find effective treatments to correct the condition once and for all. You may be worried to discover that the condition can lead to tooth loss and even heart disease, but by working together with your dentist you can treat the condition effectively and restore your oral health.
The most important thing about treating periodontal disease is to get the bacteria situation in your mouth under control. Gum diseases such as this are caused by a build up in bacteria in the mouth – so it is essential that you manage to eradicate the bacteria in your mouth if you are to have any hope of conquering the condition. Here are some ways that you can reduce the amount of bacteria in your mouth, but seek suggestions from your dentist as well to ensure that you are following their suggestions to maximize your health.
- Make good dental hygiene a top priority – you should maintain regular tooth brushing routines throughout the day. You should aim to brush after every meal, but if you can’t manage this, then twice a day is the minimum. You should also be using a recommended mouth wash several times a day to flush away the bacteria that hides out of reach of your toothbrush.
- Floss often – flossing is a very effective way to manager gingivitis, periodontal disease and other gum conditions. Flossing removes all the food particles and debris that gets stuck there. You should do it before you brush to loosen up all the germs and gunk stuck between the teeth.
- Visit your dentist regularly – you should be going to your dentist every six months for a check up and clean. The dentist is able to get rid of plaque that has built up on your teeth. Since plaque is known to cause gingivitis and other gum disease, limiting its growth is very important.
- Scaling – Scaling is a technique that your dentist can use to get rid of tartar that is hiding under the gum line. This treatment is normally provided when there is moderate to severe periodontal disease.
- Use recommended topical oral health products to manage your dental health. Natural products such as OraMD are very effective at killing the bacteria that harms your gum and tooth health.
- There may be some medications that are recommended by the dentist – in the more serious cases of periodontal disease, your dentist may prescribe certain prescription medications for you to use. If you are given these, you should follow the directions carefully in order to get the most effective results.
- Root planning – this is a surgical procedure that is performed when the periodontal disease is quite advanced. The treatment is performed by removing the damaged gum tissue and getting rid of the plaque and tartar build up around the root of the teeth.
The longer you leave the condition before seeking proper attention from your dentist, the more invasive the treatment is likely to be. However, if you make sure that you stick to a good home dental care routine the chances are good that you can avoid more serious gums diseases such as periodontal disease.